The MINI Countryman crossover bridges the gap between the classic MINI concept and a contemporary Sports Activity Vehicle. Its broader range of abilities in both urban use and beyond paves the way for larger and evolving target groups with a greater need for space and flexibility to experience the driving fun that comes with a MINI.
The brand’s first model to feature four doors and a wide-opening tailgate, the Countryman offers more space – which can be used in a wide variety of ways – to go with its raised seating position and optimised ride comfort. Plus, the “go-kart” feeling for which MINI is a byword has been preserved and takes on a new dimension on the MINI Cooper S Countryman ALL4 .
The MINI Countryman expresses the defining virtues of the brand in terms of design, premium quality, handling, efficiency and the scope for customisation – and does so in an absorbingly individual way.
• The MINI Countryman manifests an effective and assured development of the brand’s design language. The new model combines larger body dimensions, increased ground clearance and four side doors with the hallmark features of MINI design. Short overhangs, a high window line, a commanding over-the-wheel stance and the wrap-around look of the windows – extending all the way around the vehicle – create typical MINI proportions. The Countryman provides a fresh interpretation of classic MINI features, such as the roof line, hexagonal radiator grille, large headlights set into the hood, side indicator surrounds, capacious wheel arches and vertical rear light clusters.
• Using the MINI design language as a starting point, the stand-out features of the MINI Countryman are showcased in fitting style. The upright front end exudes presence and helps to optimise pedestrian protection. The increase in interior space is emphasised by large glass surfaces, the four-door layout by the distinctive contours of the roof. The extra-wide border around the lower part of the body and powerfully bolstered wheel arches are a nod to the robustness of the vehicle and its all-wheel drive (when equipped). The precise transposition of the MINI style into a new vehicle segment ensures that the MINI Countryman comes across as a totally new type of vehicle and yet is instantly recognisable as a MINI.
• The interior of the MINI Countryman is very much in keeping with the brand’s familiar style but boasts a selection of new design and functional elements. The slightly raised seating position allows easy entry, optimises the driver’s view over the road and reinforces the powerful character of the new model. The Centre Speedo and air vents are bordered by coloured rings. The unique MINI Centre Rail, meanwhile, runs lengthwise through the middle of the interior in place of a conventional centre console and opens up new ways of integrating storage boxes, cup holders, external audio devices, mobile phones and other comfort-enhancing elements just as you want them. Clip-in fixtures have a flexible range of positioning that allows the storage area to be divided up as desired and items to be kept close at hand at all times. Added to which, the Centre Rail creates an unconventional visual and functional connection between the front and rear compartments.
• The MINI Countryman is underpinned by sophisticated new suspension technology, which includes a front axle with MacPherson spring struts and forged track control arms, multi-link rear suspension and the electromechanical power steering system EPS. The MINI Countryman comes as standard with the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) system.
• A crash-optimised body structure with precisely defined load paths and deformation zones ensures exceptional passive safety. Standard safety features include front and side airbags, plus side curtain airbags for the front and rear seats, three-point inertia-reel seat belts on all seats, belt tensioners and belt force limiters at the front and ISOFIX child seat attachments in the rear.
• New model-specific equipment features have been added to the usual extensive selection of exterior and interior customisation options available for the MINI. A newly configured range of interior colours, trim elements and upholstery materials allows for particularly harmonious combinations. Air conditioning, the MINI Centre Rail and an audio system with CD player are all fitted as standard, while the model-specific array of optional equipment items and accessories available for the MINI Countryman includes high-quality audio and navigation systems as well as mobile phone interfaces. Customers can also specify a large panoramic sunroof, Adaptive Headlights with xenon light, a heated windscreen, 16- to 19-inch light-alloy wheels, sports suspension (with the vehicle height lowered by 10 mm / almost 0.4″) and John Cooper Works performance components.
MINI Cooper S Countryman:
Four-cylinder gasoline engine with twin-scroll turbocharger, direct injection and fully variable valve management based on the BMW Group’s VALVETRONIC technology. Displacement: 1,598 cc, output:184 hp at 5,500 rpm, max. torque: 177 lb-ft at 1,600 rpm (192 lb-ft with Overboost).
Acceleration 0–100 km/h (62 mph): 7.6 seconds (preliminary EU figure)
Average fuel consumption (preliminary EU figure)
6.1 litres/100 km,
CO2 emissions: 143 g/km.
MINI Cooper Countryman:
Four-cylinder gasoline engine with fully variable valve management based on the BMW Group’s VALVETRONIC technology. Displacement: 1,598 cc, output: 122 hp at 6,000 rpm, max. torque: 118 lb-ft at 4,250 rpm.
Acceleration 0–100 km/h : 10.5 seconds (preliminary EU figure)
Average fuel consumption according to EU standard:
6.1 litres/100 km (preliminary EU figure)
CO2 emissions: 142 g/km.
• Exterior dimensions:
Length: 4,097 millimetres (161.3″) (MINI Cooper S Countryman: 4,110 millimetres/161.8″)
Width: 1,789 millimetres (70.4″)
Height: 1,561 millimetres (61.5″)
Wheelbase: 2,595 millimetres (102.2″)