Ever been to the Deep South? South Jersey, that is! It’s time to shake off the winter blahs and start thinking beach. Philly Mini’s is heading to the Jersey Shore, Cape May to be exact! The Exit 0 Rally begins appropriately near Mt. Laurel, since MINI of Mt. Laurel is co-sponsoring the only Jersey rally this year. They’ll begin by meandering through tiny historic villages on the first leg of this three-leg run. You’ll enjoy some surprising twists and scenic straight-aways driving through the Garden State’s famous cranberry bogs. This leg ends at Batsto Village, a nationally recognized historic site that can be traced back to 1766 and earlier (we’re talking prehistoric). You’ll have time to explore the Village … and it’s well worth your time.
Philly Mini’s return to the road and take to the Pinelands, following winding back roads on this all-new leg — ending for lunch at Atlantic County Park in Estell Manor. They’ve got a picnic pavilion all to ourselves if the weather should be wet or inclement.
The final third of the rally heads due south through more of the Jersey Devil’s stomping grounds. They’ll make a stop at famous Cape May Lighthouse and check out the amazing bird sanctuary by the beach where Bobolinks, Summer Tanagers, Indigo Buntings and Black Terns are just a few of the common visitors. They’ll finish the day with dinner at Carneys on the ocean.
DATE: May 21st, 2011
START: 1520 Route 38, Lumberton NJ They will meet in the Lowe’s parking lot right behind the Wawa, It is located in the Cross Roads Plaza, if people pass the Plaza, turn right at the light and enter through the Lowe’s parking lot off Route 541.
LUNCH: Please pack a picnic lunch to enjoy at the park.
END: Carneys, 411 Beach Ave, Cape May NJ
DINNER: Everyone attending will order off the menu, please RSVP so we can give the restaurant a head count.
IMPORTANT NOTE: MINI of Mt. Laurel has donated some prizes. You’ll learn how you can win some cool swag at the drivers/navigators meeting before they set off – SO DON’T BE LATE!
Please be aware of the following:
1) There are NO tolls this year. Bring your EZPASS if you will be taking the Garden State Pkwy or AC Expressway (or any bridges into PA) home.
2) Bring chairs if you have them, there are picnic benches, but there are also other events going on.
3) Bring lunch for the Picnic at the park. We have to carry out what we bring in. There are limited trash bins in the area.
4) Bring sunscreen we will be in the sun on the beach. Also, bring a sweater or jacket. It is MUCH cooler on the beach. The temperature in Philly can be in the mid 80?s and in the 60?s in Cape May.
5) This rally consists of 3 legs and each leg is about 1 hour 15 minutes long. Total mileage is approximately 150 miles.
6) There will be plenty of time for shopping and checking out what Cape May has to offer.
7) You are responsible for your own dinner tab and will order from the menu (see link above).
EVENT ORGANIZER: Mike Rudolph ’07 Lightning Blue MCc